1/1 Photo of 30 Minute Fresh Mozzarella Cheese Homemade
Homemade fresh mozzarella cheese has fabulous flavor. The instructions here for making your own at home are detailed but not difficult. Rennet and citric acid can be found in health food stores and specialty markets, mail order, and some pharmacies. (from Home Cheese Making by Ricki Carroll (Workman Publishing)) I made this and it's easy. If you can make pizza dough you can make this cheese, and you can basically make it in the time it takes for your dough to rise. Wow it is so much better than store bought. I'd give it 5 stars but I posted it so..... FYI fresh Mozzarella doesn't keep well and is best consumed the day it is made
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Crush the rennet into the water and stir to dissolve.
- 2Pour milk into a non-reactive pot (no aluminum or cast iron).
- 3Place over medium heat. Sprinkle the citric acid over the milk and stir a few times. Heat milk to 88°F; milk will begin to curdle.
- 4At 88°F, add the rennet solution and continue stirring slowly every few minutes until the milk reaches 105°F Turn off the heat. Large curds will appear and begin to separate from the whey (the clear, greenish liquid).
- 5With a slotted spoon or mesh strainer, scoop the curd into a large glass bowl. (If it's still too liquid, let it set for a few more minutes). Press the curds gently with your hand and pour off as much whey as possible.
- 6Microwave curds on high for 1 minute, then drain off all the excess whey.
- 7With a spoon, press curds into a ball until cool.
- 8Microwave two more times for 35 seconds each, and continue to drain the whey and work cheese into a ball.
- 9In the meantime, place the whey over medium heat and let it heat to about 175°F.
- 10When cheese is cool enough to touch, knead it like bread dough until smooth. When you can stretch it like taffy, it is done. You can sprinkle 1 to 2 teaspoons salt into the cheese while kneading and stretching it. The cheese will become stretchy, smooth and shiny. If it is difficult to stretch and breaks easily, dip it into the hot whey for a few seconds to make it warm and pliable. Then pick it up again and stretch it into a long rope. Fold over and stretch again. Dip in hot whey as needed to make the cheese pliable.
- 11When the cheese is smooth and shiny (this takes just a few minutes), it is ready to eat. Shape it into a log or golf-size balls, then store in a solution of 2 teaspoons salt to 1 cup water.
Browse Our Top Cheese Recipes
Nutritional Facts for 30 Minute Fresh Mozzarella Cheese Homemade
Serving Size: 1 (257 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 120.2
- Calories from Fat 42
- Total Fat 4.7 g
- Saturated Fat 3.0 g
- Cholesterol 19.2 mg
- Sodium 113.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 11.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 12.1 g
- Protein 7.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: