Prep 5 mins
Cook 7 mins
Here is a recipe to try with those delicious homegrown tomatoes. Provolone cheese is also good with this.
- 1 (5 ounce) package garlic and cheese flavored croutons
- 2 large tomatoes, cut in 1/4-inch slices
- 1⁄2 lb mozzarella cheese, slices
- 4 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- Line the bottom of a 9-inch pie or quiche pan with a single layer of the croutons.
- Alternate 1/4-inch slices of tomato with mozzarella slices on top of the croutons.
- Sprinkle with the red wine vinegar and then the dried basil.
- Put in a microwave oven for 5-8 minutes or until the cheese has melted.
So I changed this recipe and instead of using croutons I used bacon as my base! The vinegar made the bacon soft (I like my bacon firm, but the other person eating this with me likes their bacon soft). But it was still tasty and I would definitely make it again perhaps with less vinegar. It was quite easy to make and I'll add this to my recipe list. :)
Garden tomatoes are truly pushing the need to find "something new"! Had the reddest, ripest tomatoes and fresh mozzeralla, layered in a small baking dish, over croutons - sprinkled with extra garlic/pepper seasoning. Followed another reviewer's suggestion of using balsamic in place of red wine vinegar, with pleasing results. Topped with chiffonaded fresh basil and nuked for 1 minute periods, 4 times. was a tasty side to left-over chicken pot-pie. Thanks for posting, Lainy.
This was great! The flavors really came together nicely. Thanks for sharing! ZWT8