Cook1 hr 12 mins
I am not very tuned into ricotta cheese, so was happy to find this recipe at Italian Food Forever. My family keeps begging me to make it every week.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons onions, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 carrot, diced fine
- 1 stalk celery, diced fine
- 4 links hot Italian sausage (or sweet if you prefer)
- salt & pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup red wine
- 2 (28 ounce) cans chopped tomatoes
- 1 lb ziti pasta (or other dried pasta)
- 1 1⁄2 cups diced mozzarella cheese (or Fontina cheese)
- 3 beaten eggs
- 3 ounces parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- Brown sausage links well.
- Remove and cut into 1/2 inch rounds.
- Put aside.
- Make sauce by heating the oil.
- Add onion, garlic, carrot, celery.
- Saute until soft.
- Add wine and reduce to half.
- Add tomatoes, salt, pepper, oregano, sausage, and parsley.
- Simmer for 60 minutes until thickened.
- Cook pasta until al dente.
- Drain and add to sauce and mix well.
- Heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Using a buttered ovenproof dish, put in 1/3 of pasta mix.
- Sprinkle with diced mozzarella.
- Repeat layers twice more.
- Pour beaten eggs over top of pasta.
- Sprinkle with parmesan cheese.
- Bake until bubbly.
- Let stand a few minutes before serving.