1/2 Photos of Asparagus, Mushroom and Tomato Bake With Seasoned Cheese Sauce
Low carb and oh so good! Inspired by Gary Rhodes cheese sauce which I made in one of his recipes. The seasoning in the cheese sauce gives this dish a very unique flavor. This is a wonderful spring dish. If you are an asparagus lover as myself I hope you give it a try.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb asparagus, trimmed
- 2 portabella mushrooms, cleaned
- 3 -4 tomatoes, quartered
- olive oil, for drizzling
- sea salt
For the Seasoned Cheese Sauce
- 1Preheat oven to 375 F degrees. Cover a baking pan or cookie sheet with foil (for easy cleanup).
- 2Drizzle the olive oil over the mushrooms and asparagus and gently toss to coat them.
- 3Put the mushrooms in the center of the pan; arrange the asparagus on both sides of the mushrooms with tips pointing in both directions on both sides of the mushrooms; reserve the tomatoes at this point.
- 4Bake the mushrooms and asparagus in the oven for about 15-20 minutes.
- 5Scatter the tomatoes over top of asparagus; drizzling a touch of olive oil over the top of the tomatoes.
- 6Sprinkle a touch of sea salt over top of tomatoes and asparagus and bake for approximately another 10 minutes. Make sure to check your asparagus and mushrooms to desired tenderness.
- 7For the sauce:
- 8Pour the milk into a medium sized saucepan.
- 9Make an ‘ornament’ with the onion, bay leaf and clove by using the clove to pierce the bay leaf and then poke the bay leaf into the onion; add your ‘ornament’ to the milk in the saucepan.
- 10Warm the milk gently over low heat, to infuse the flavors, until it just begins to boil; cover and let rest for about 15 minutes or so while you follow the next step.
- 11In another medium saucepan melt the butter over low heat; mix in the flour and cook for a couple of minutes stirring constantly.
- 12Add the milk to the butter/flour mixture 1/2 cup at a time; cook and stir until all the milk has been added.
- 13For a stronger flavor in your sauce you can add the onion from the milk mixture at this point.
- 14Cook over low heat until thick, about 20-25 minutes; stirring occasionally so it doesn’t burn on the bottom.
- 15Once the sauce has thickened remove the onion, and add salt and pepper to taste; leaving the sauce over very low heat.
- 16Stir in the cream (if using) to give a silky texture to the sauce. You don’t have to use it all depending on the thickness of your sauce; keeping in mind the cheese will also thicken the sauce further.
- 17Add the mustard and cheese to the sauce until the cheese is melted; BE VERY CAREFUL NOT TO LET BOIL!. The cheese will separate and it will not look appealing.
- 18Drizzle the Cheese Sauce over top of the baked vegetables and serve.
Browse Our Top Cheese Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Cheese Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Asparagus, Mushroom and Tomato Bake With Seasoned Cheese Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (482 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 568.7
- Calories from Fat 310
- Total Fat 34.5 g
- Saturated Fat 21.4 g
- Cholesterol 108.7 mg
- Sodium 558.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 39.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.6 g
- Sugars 11.1 g
- Protein 32.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: