bluemoon downunder's Note:
Serve as a dinner party starter or serve with a salad as a light lunch. Adapted from the Simply Great Recipes website. I've suggested a few alternatives below. I'm well aware from reading reviews on Zaar that many people don't much like citrus flavourings, but I've provided that option for those of us who do! If you're going down the citrus path and adding a smidgeon of juice to the cream cheese, add it cautiously, a bit at a time, to maintain the basic consistency of the cheese. And, as I've suggested in the TIPS below, if you're a feta-lover, then of course substitute feta for the cream cheese!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry, semi-thawed
- 1/3 cup cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill (or 1/2 tablespoon fresh dill and 1/2 tablespoon fresh chives) or 1 tablespoon fresh chives, finely chopped (or 1/2 tablespoon fresh dill and 1/2 tablespoon fresh chives)
- 2 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1 teaspoon orange zest (optional) or 1 teaspoon lemon zest (optional)
- 1 teaspoon orange juice (optional) or 1 teaspoon lemon juice (optional)
- 1/2 tablespoon canned crabmeat (optional) or 1/2 tablespoon canned salmon, thoroughly-drained (optional) or 1 slice ham, finely chopped (optional)
- 425 g asparagus, green spears thoroughly-drained
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese, grated
- 1Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- 2Divide the pastry sheet in half and cut each half into 4 equal strips.
- 3In a medium sized bowl, combine the cream cheese, the dill or chives, garlic, (optional) orange or lemon zest, (optional) orange or lemon juice, and (optional) crab, salmon or ham until they are well combined. If your cheese mixture becomes too thin (aha, sounds like you added too much juice!) add a one of the optional meats: crab, salmon or ham. Or, if you want to keep the dish vegetarian, add some more dill or chives.
- 4Place the 8 strips of pastry onto a greased baking tray and spread them with the cream cheese mixture.
- 5Arrange 2 - 3 thoroughly-drained Asparagus Green Spears on each strip of pastry and sprinkle with parmesan cheese.
- 6Bake in a preheated oven at 200°C for 15-18 minutes.
- 7TIPS: If you love feta, you may well want to use feta instead of cream cheese. The original recipe also suggested adding finely chopped cooked bacon to the cream cheese. If you're not adding orange or lemon, you may well like to add bacon to the cream cheese.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Asparagus Puff Pastry Snacks
Serving Size: 1 (97 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 220.8
- Calories from Fat 139
- Total Fat 15.5 g
- Saturated Fat 5.3 g
- Cholesterol 11.7 mg
- Sodium 131.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 16.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.5 g
- Sugars 0.9 g
- Protein 4.7 g