Prep 40 mins
Cook 20 mins
Posting this for ZWT V...
Make and share this Aussie Cheese Fries recipe from Food.com.
- 2 medium russet potatoes
- 6 -8 cups vegetable oil or 6 -8 cups shortening
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground thyme
- 1 cup shredded monterey jack cheese
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 slice bacon, cooked
- To make Aussie Chips-.
- Preheat oil to 375 degrees in a deep fryer.
- Cut potatoes into french fry slices using a vegetable slicer or mandolin. It's
- important to use a gadget for the slicing so that the fries will all be the same thickness, and will cook evenly.
- Submerge all of the sliced potatoes in a large bowl fill with cold water for 30 minutes.
- Combine all of the seasoning ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.
- Remove potato slices from the water and onto a clean towel. Blot dry.
- Fry potato slices for 8 to 12 minutes in hot oil until light brown. Drain fries on a rack or paper towels and sprinkle with some of the seasoning.
- Prepare the clone for the Aussie Chips and arrange the seasoned fries on an oven-safe plate. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Mix the cheeses together and sprinkle the blend over the fries. Crumble the bacon and sprinkle it over the cheese. Bake the plate for 4 to 5 minutes in the hot oven, until cheese is melted. Serve with ranch dressing on the side.
I don't like using the deep fryer too often, so I made a baked version. These are AWESOME!!! I added a little chili powder to give it a kick, and i added a little more bacon because you can never have enough. Thanks for a fantastic recipe!!!
We loved the spice mix on these. I omitted the salt but added fleur de sel after the cheese melted. I used a combo of chedder and mozza. Made for ZWT Family Picks for team Zaar Chow Hounds