Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
Damper is a traditional Australian bread, made without yeast, and commonly made on a campfire in a cast iron camp oven. This is tweeked from Margaret E. Walker article in Outback Camping When Margaret was asked her what kind of tasty cheese, and learned that the word 'tasty' is used in Australia the way 'sharp' is used in the US. We thanked Margaret for helping us learn and had a good laugh at the thought of eating non-tasty cheese.
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Sift flour and salt together in a large bowl. Using fingers rub in the chopped butter until it is the consistency of breadcrumbs. Add cheeses,garlic and chives. Mix well.
- Combine milk and water. Make a well in flour and pour in all of the liquid, reserving a little for glaze. Mix quickly into a soft dough, using a knife or the hands.
- Turn onto a lightly floured board and knead lightly. Press into a round. Place onto a greased baking tray. Glaze with leftover milk and water mixture and sprinkle with extra cheese.
- Bake 15-20 minutes in 425°F oven, and serve sliced with butter or olive oil.
- Individual dampers can also be shaped and baked for the same time and temperature.
Delicious! Similar, but better than the cheese biscuits at Red Lobster. I had to bake for 35 minutes.
This recipe will be made and enjoyed time and again, as Rita's recipes always are! Who would guess that a concoction of ready ingredients with such simplicity to prepare could be so yummy?! This loaf, as another reviewer said, is reminiscent of those biscuits at Red Lobster Restaurant. I used about 1 1/2 cups cheddar and 1/3 cup total parmesan, counting the parmesn on top, and extra garlic. A definite keeper. Thanks Rita~
i HAVE to give this recipe a 5 star rating however I had messed up by not reading the SELF raising flour! ;( but it was still soooo yummy! (and a little doughy/crunchy). cant wait to make it again and use the proper ingredient! used about 5 cloves of garlic. YAYYY! thanks Rita!
made again 3-4-2012: well used the right flour this time and accidentally used 2 cups of shredded cheddar... YUMMY!!!!! such a quick, easy meal that i usually have everything on hand. thanks again!!