11/2005 Each bite is filled with breakfast flavors! You can taste the bacon, cheese, mushroom and green-onion flavors. Originally, this was a Pillsbury Bake-Off 41 (Hollywood,2004) recipe submitted by: Terri Barton of Salt Lake, Utah. It has been noted by one reviewer - that this dish should be used as a side to breakfast or brunch. Update: 07/21/2008. . . . . . . made this again for supper as I like to serve a light meal - we added more fresh mushrooms, we added more green onions, some pimentos and of course more eggs & bacon. :)
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 (16 1/3 ounce) canpillsbury original flaky refrigerated biscuits
- 4 -6 slices crispy bacon, cooked and broken into 1/2-inch pcs
- 4 ounces shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 (4 ounce) can mushroom pieces
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped green onion, both green and white parts (4 medium)
- cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Spray 11x7" or 12x8" (2 quart) glass baking dish, with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, beat egg and milk with wire whisk until smooth.
- Separate dough into 8 biscuits; cut into quarters.
- Gently stir biscuit pieces into egg mixture to coat evenly.
- Fold in bacon, cheese, mushrooms and onions.
- Spoon mixture into sprayed dish; arrange biscuit pieces in a single layer.
- Bake for 23-28 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cut into squares or just apull-apart.
- Serve warm.
I made this today, followed the recipe (and comments made by Manami) and it was absolutely fantastic!!! Worth more than 5 stars, that's for sure! I did add an extra egg, a bit more milk, fresh mushrooms, and a 'bit' more bacon. I will definitely make this again, many times I'm sure!! P.S. thanks to the zaar helpers. I lost this recipe, but was determined to make it. One write-in describing it, and within 3 minutes, I had the recipe!!!! I'm so glad!!!!!!! Thanks for posting Manami!!!!!!!!
This recipe, in a slightly easier format, appeared in the Betty Crocker 2009 Best-Loved Holiday magazine, and, boy, was it awesome! We had it Christmas morning and everyone loved it. My recipe did not all for the mushrooms. Also, it called for a 2.2 ounce package of precooked bacon, cut into pieces. We actually used a little bacon and a little diced sausage. We will make this again!
Totally a hit with my athlete kids! I omitted the mushrooms, added an extra egg and 2T more milk. As another reviewer stated, this really is more of a side dish if you portion into 8 servings as directed. This would be great for a brunch meal.