Suzanna Marie's Note:
DH and I have never eaten, let alone made, a Frittata. "Healthy Life Magazine: Greater Binghamton, NY's Source for Family Health" is a free quarterly found in doctors' offices, grocery stores, etc. The Spring, 2009 issue carried this recipe. DH and I decided to finally take the plunge and were quite pleased with the outcome/taste. He's more of a veggie human than me, but we both love cheese; so, this satisfied both of us.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons breadcrumbs, fine dry
- 1 lb thin asparagus
- 1 1/2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 cup water
- fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 4 large eggs
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup shredded gruyere cheese
- 1Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Coat a 10-inch pie pan w/cooking spray.
- 2Sprinkle w/breadcrumbs, tapping out the excess.
- 3Snap tough ends off asparagus.
- 4Slice off the top 2 inches of the tips and reserve.
- 5Cut the stalks into 1/2 inch slices.
- 6Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- 7Add onions, bell pepper, garlic and 1/4 teaspoon salt; stir, cook until just softened.
- 8Add water and the asparagus stalks to the skillet.
- 9Cook, stirring until the asparagus is tender and the liquid has evaporated, about 5 minutes (the mixture should be very dry).
- 10Season with salt and pepper.
- 11Arrange the vegetables in an even layer in the prepared pan.
- 12Whisk eggs and egg whites in a medium size bowl.
- 13Add ricotta, parsley, 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper; whisk to blend.
- 14Pour the egg mixture over the vegetables, gently shaking the pan to distribute.
- 15Scatter the reserved asparagus tips over the top; sprinkle with Gruyere.
- 16Bake at 325 degrees for 35 minutes (until knife comes out clean).
- 17Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.
Browse Our Top Cheese Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Cheese Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Baked Asparagus and Cheese Frittata
Serving Size: 1 (183 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 158.8
- Calories from Fat 75
- Total Fat 8.3 g
- Saturated Fat 3.7 g
- Cholesterol 122.7 mg
- Sodium 290.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 9.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.9 g
- Sugars 2.8 g
- Protein 11.7 g