1/1 Photo of Baked Cheese Polenta With Swiss Chard
1 hr 5 mins
Barb Gertz's Note:
We love this casserole, easy to put together and oh so good and good for you. I found the recipe at fooddownunder.com ,and make a couple changes to our liking. Note: This recipe can be prepared up to 24 hours in advance.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 8 cups chopped swiss chard, stems &, leaves
- cooking spray, for pan
- 1Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat; Add the garlic and cook 30 seconds, then stir in Swiss chard stems; pour in a couple tablespoons water and cover pan; cook the stems 2 minutes; Remove the cover and mix in the Swiss chard leaves; Cover the pan again and cook until the leaves wilt, about 3 minutes; Remove pan from heat and let cool, uncovered.
- 2Preheat the oven to 400°F; spray a 2 1/2-quart shallow baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
- 3Combine the chicken broth, water and salt in a medium size saucepan and bring to a boil; reduce the heat to medium-low and SLOWLY drizzle in the cornmeal, WHISKING all the while with a wire whisk.
- 4Continue to cook and whisk the polenta until it is the consistency mashed potatoes, about 5 minutes; whisk in 2 tablespoons of Parmesan cheese, the 1 tablespoon butter, and the Mozzarella cheese.
- 5Spread HALF of the polenta into the baking dish; Spoon on Swiss chard and distribute it evenly on top of polenta; Drop on small spoonfuls of the sour cream over Swiss chard; spread it out with back of spoon.
- 6Spoon on the remaining polenta and spread it out; Sprinkle on the remaining tablespoon of Parmesan cheese (the casserole may be prepared to this point and refrigerated up to 24 hours in advance, bring to room temperature before baking).
- 7Bake the polenta for 20 to 25 minutes, or until golden on top and sizzling, DO NOT overcook it because you want to retain its creamy interior.
Browse Our Top Chard Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chard Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Baked Cheese Polenta With Swiss Chard
Serving Size: 1 (245 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 247.1
- Calories from Fat 135
- Total Fat 15.0 g
- Saturated Fat 6.4 g
- Cholesterol 28.6 mg
- Sodium 713.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 19.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.3 g
- Sugars 1.5 g
- Protein 9.5 g