1/3 Photos of Baked Macaroni and Gouda Cheese With Italian Sausage
Mommy Diva's Note:
From Feb 2007 RR magazine. I just love pastas, cheese and onions, oh my!!! Could be made with or without the sausage and any number of veggies added in!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat the oven to 350º.
- 2In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook the pasta until al dente, about 11 minutes (or as directed on package).
- 3Meanwhile, heat a large, heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium-high heat.
- 4Add the sausage and cook, stirring and breaking up the meat with a wooden spoon, until no longer pink, 3 to 4 minutes.
- 5Transfer the sausage to a large bowl and wipe the saucepan clean.
- 6Add the pasta and 1 cup caramelized onions to the sausage and stir to combine.
- 7In a medium saucepan or a microwave oven, heat the milk until steaming.
- 8Return the large saucepan to the stove, add the butter and melt over medium heat.
- 9Add the flour and cook, whisking constantly, for 3 minutes.
- 10Whisk in the hot milk, 1/4 cup at a time, and continue whisking until the sauce is smooth and thick and comes to a simmer.
- 11Add 2 1/2 cups cheese, remove from the heat and whisk until the cheese is melted, about 2 minutes; season to taste with salt and pepper.
- 12Add the cheese sauce to the pasta mixture and stir to combine.
- 13Butter a 9-by-13-inch baking dish and add the pasta mixture in an even layer. Sprinkle the remaining 1/2 cup caramelized onions and 1 1/2 cups cheese on top.
- 14Bake until golden and bubbling, about 40 minutes.
- 15Remove from the oven and let rest for 10 minutes before serving.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Baked Macaroni and Gouda Cheese With Italian Sausage
Serving Size: 1 (353 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 674.0
- Calories from Fat 291
- Total Fat 32.4 g
- Saturated Fat 18.2 g
- Cholesterol 109.2 mg
- Sodium 892.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 58.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.4 g
- Sugars 9.9 g
- Protein 36.6 g