From Cooking Light, February 2006. Yummy, filling casserole.
Make and share this Beef, Cheese, and Noodle Bake recipe from Food.com.
- 1 (8 ounce) package small elbow macaroni
- cooking spray
- 1 cup prechopped onion
- 1 cup preshredded carrot
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 lb lean ground sirloin
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 cup nonfat milk
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 1⁄2 cups grated sharp light cheddar cheese (6 ounces)
- Preheat over to 350.
- Cook pasta, drain and set aside.
- Saute onion, carrot, and garlic for about 3 minutes.
- Add ground beef and brown breaking up the meat.
- Add tomato sauce, 1/2 tsp salt, and pepper.
- Continue to cook for about 2 minutes.
- Add macaroni.
- Put mixture into a 11 x 7 baking dish that has been sprayed with cooking spray.
- Heat milk, flour, remaining 1/2 tsp salt, and nutmeg over medium heat whisking constantly for about 2 minutes, until smooth and thickening.
- Stir in 1 cup of grated cheese until smooth.
- Pour cheese mixture over pasta and stir in to blend.
- Spread remaining cheese over the top.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until cheese is starting to brown.
- Let sit for about 5 minutes before serving.