Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
From Cooking Light, February 2006. Yummy, filling casserole.
Make and share this Beef, Cheese, and Noodle Bake recipe from Food.com.
- 1 (8 ounce) package small elbow macaroni
- cooking spray
- 1 cup prechopped onion
- 1 cup preshredded carrot
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 lb lean ground sirloin
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 cup nonfat milk
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 1⁄2 cups grated sharp light cheddar cheese (6 ounces)
- Preheat over to 350.
- Cook pasta, drain and set aside.
- Saute onion, carrot, and garlic for about 3 minutes.
- Add ground beef and brown breaking up the meat.
- Add tomato sauce, 1/2 tsp salt, and pepper.
- Continue to cook for about 2 minutes.
- Add macaroni.
- Put mixture into a 11 x 7 baking dish that has been sprayed with cooking spray.
- Heat milk, flour, remaining 1/2 tsp salt, and nutmeg over medium heat whisking constantly for about 2 minutes, until smooth and thickening.
- Stir in 1 cup of grated cheese until smooth.
- Pour cheese mixture over pasta and stir in to blend.
- Spread remaining cheese over the top.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until cheese is starting to brown.
- Let sit for about 5 minutes before serving.
This recipe is so yummy. I like that there are carrots in it. It makes it healthier. I omitted the nutmeg. Thanks Vicki :) Made for Cookbook tag game
Great recipe,thanks for posting it!
I was trying to come up with something different to do with ground sirloin.We were all getting tired of the usual things to use it for chili,tacos,spaghetti sauce,burgers etc.It was very cold here today and this was warm, filling comfort food.I really loved the fact that it was low in calories per serving.(I didn't tell my husband or little one that though;)I left out the carrots because as one other reviewer said,I have a couple of hawk eyes here.LOL! I only used 1/4 tsp of pepper(I figured we could add more when serving)and it was perfect.My daughter gobbled hers up without a complaint and believe me thats 5 stars right there because she's VERY fussy!Thanks again for this recipe I will definitely make it again and again.
Great casserole! I love Cooking Light recipes and they did a great job with this one. Using a cheese sauce makes this rich without being fatty. Prepared the night before and baked at dinner time which worked well. Leftovers were good, too. All I had was 85/15 ground beef, so I cooked it, drained thoroughly on paper towels, then added in the onions, garlic, and finely shredded carrots to cook for a few minutes. Definitely a repeat at my house, the whole family enjoyed it. Thanks for sharing the recipe!