I fell in love with beer cheese soup at a local brewhouse in Columbus. That restaurant went out of business quite a while ago and I still miss that soup! I found this recipe in our local paper and I can't wait to make it for next weekend's Buckeye game! YUM! I added the garlic croutons and dash of paprika since I'm trying to replicate that old soup that I love. It would also be great in a sourdough bread bowl! MMMmmm. I love fall weather.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 12 ounces beer (nothing too dark, light beers work as well)
- 1/2 lb bacon (not in the recipe I remember) (optional)
- 1/2 cup onion, diced
- 1/2 cup carrot, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup celery, minced
- 1/4 cup red pepper, minced
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can condensed chicken broth
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 3 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- garlic-flavored croutons, to garnish
- paprika, to garnish
- 1Open beer and let stand while you dice the veggies. Saute bacon until crisp (if using); drain, reserving drippings, crumble bacon.
- 2Saute veggies in 2 tablespoons of reserved bacon grease until soft. Add chicken broth.
- 3Fill empty broth can with beer and add to mixture. (save, DO NOT DRINK, the remaining beer!) Bring to boil, then simmer.
- 4Pour remaining beer into mixing bowl (told you not to drink it) and whisk in flour.
- 5Gradually add to broth, stirring constantly, until thick. Add Half & Half, bacon (if desired) and cheese.
- 6Heat until cheese melts. Stir in sugar. Add salt, pepper to taste.
- 7After ladeling into bowls, garnish with croutons and paprika.
Browse Our Top Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Beer Cheese Soup
Serving Size: 1 (442 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 540.6
- Calories from Fat 324
- Total Fat 36.0 g
- Saturated Fat 22.4 g
- Cholesterol 112.1 mg
- Sodium 1044.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 20.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.2 g
- Sugars 6.0 g
- Protein 27.9 g