This is the best macaroni and cheese I have ever had. Omit the crushed crackers if you don't want the crunch. This is from Southern Living 1993, with a few changes.
- Bring water and salt to a boil in a large Dutch oven.
- Stir in macaroni and return to a rapid boil.
- Cook 8 to 10 minutes or until tender.
- Drain, rinse with cold water, and drain again.
- Combine macaroni, cheddar cheese, sour cream, and mayonnaise.
- Spoon into a lightly greased 11"x7"x1 1/2" baking dish.
- Sprinkle with crackers and bake at 325F 30-35 minutes.