Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This recipe is from the RSVP section in a February 1981 issue of Bon Appetit. It was requested from Stuart Anderson's Black Angus restaurant in Yakima, Washington. I made this for Easter dinner to go with our ham. I cooked and layered the pototoes in the casserole dish and made the sauce the night before and refrigerated both separately, covered, overnight. The next day, i warmed the sauce slightly and poured it over the potatoes and baked as instructed, increasing the baking time to 30 minutes. It came out perfect!
- 1 1⁄2 lbs unpeeled potatoes
- 2 tablespoons butter (1/4 stick)
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups hot milk
- 1⁄2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- shredded cheddar cheese
- grated parmesan cheese
- Boil potatoes in lightly salted water until tender.
- Cool,peel and cut into 1/4-inch slices;layer slices in buttered casserole dish.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Melt butter in medium saucepan and whisk in flour until mixture is smooth.
- Gradually add hot milk, whisking constantly.
- Stir in cheeses and continue cooking, whisking, until cheeses are melted.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Pour over potatoes and sprinkle with cheddar,parmesan and paprika.
- Bake 20 minutes.
- Place under broiler just until brown and bubbly; serve immediately.