1 hr 5 mins
Leslie in Texas's Note:
This recipe is from the RSVP section in a February 1981 issue of Bon Appetit. It was requested from Stuart Anderson's Black Angus restaurant in Yakima, Washington. I made this for Easter dinner to go with our ham. I cooked and layered the pototoes in the casserole dish and made the sauce the night before and refrigerated both separately, covered, overnight. The next day, i warmed the sauce slightly and poured it over the potatoes and baked as instructed, increasing the baking time to 30 minutes. It came out perfect!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 lbs unpeeled potatoes
- 2 tablespoons butter (1/4 stick)
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 1/2 cups hot milk
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1Boil potatoes in lightly salted water until tender.
- 2Cool,peel and cut into 1/4-inch slices;layer slices in buttered casserole dish.
- 3Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 4Melt butter in medium saucepan and whisk in flour until mixture is smooth.
- 5Gradually add hot milk, whisking constantly.
- 6Stir in cheeses and continue cooking, whisking, until cheeses are melted.
- 7Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- 8Pour over potatoes and sprinkle with cheddar,parmesan and paprika.
- 9Bake 20 minutes.
- 10Place under broiler just until brown and bubbly; serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Black Angus Potatoes Au Gratin
Serving Size: 1 (144 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 209.7
- Calories from Fat 84
- Total Fat 9.4 g
- Saturated Fat 5.8 g
- Cholesterol 28.8 mg
- Sodium 126.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 24.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.5 g
- Sugars 0.9 g
- Protein 7.0 g