Found it in Barefoot in Paris, 2004. I love cheese souffles and this one was not listed and I am partial to Ina Garten. Updated: serve with Chambord and fresh or frozen fruit.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter or 3 tablespoons unsalted margarine, plus extra for greasing the dish
- 1/4 cup finely grated fresh parmesan cheese, plus extra for sprinkling
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup scalded milk
- kosher salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 4 extra-large egg yolks, at room temperature
- 3 ounces good Roquefort cheese, chopped (Stilton)
- 5 extra large egg whites, at room temperature
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- fresh fruit or frozen fruit
- 1Preheat oven to 400ºF.
- 2Butter the inside of an 8" souffle dish (7 & 1/2 inches in diameter and 3 & 1/4 inches deep) and sprinkle evenly with Parmesan cheese.
- 3Melt the butter or margarine in a small saucepan over low heat. With a wooden spoon, stir in the flour and cook, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes. Off the heat whisk in the hot milk, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, the cayenne and nutmeg. Cook over low heat, whisking constantly, for 1 minute, until smooth and thick.
- 4Off the heat while still hot, whisk in egg yolks, one at a time. Stir in the Roquefort and the 1/4 cup of Parmesan and transfer to a large mixing bowl.
- 5Put the egg whites, cream of tartar, and a pinch of salt in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachement. Beat on low speed for 1 minute, on medium speed for 1 minute, then finally on high speed until they form firm, glossy peaks.
- 6Whisk 1/4 of the egg whites into the cheese sauce to lighten and then fold in the rest.
- 7Pour into souffle dish, then smooth the top, GENTLY. Draw a circle on top with the spatula to help the souffle rise evenly and place in the middle of the oven.
- 8Turn the temperature down to 375ºF. Bake 30-35 minutes(don't peek) until puffed and brown.
- 9Serve immediately with Chambord and fresh or/& frozen fruit.
Browse Our Top Cheese Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Cheese Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Blue Cheese Souffle (Barefoot Contessa) Ina Garten
Serving Size: 1 (217 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 636.1
- Calories from Fat 429
- Total Fat 47.6 g
- Saturated Fat 27.3 g
- Cholesterol 481.1 mg
- Sodium 1177.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 17.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.3 g
- Sugars 0.9 g
- Protein 33.7 g