Prep 5 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is a really yummy, easy appetiser. Looks impressive too! Cooking time doesn't include 20-30 mins setting time. Serves 4 as part of a larger cheese platter, or selection of appetisers.
- Place brie on the pastry, draw a circle round it with a knife (about 1/2 inch larger than the cheese) and cut out the circle.
- Do the same again.
- Cut a strip of pastry about 1/2" wide that's long enough to wrap around the brie.
- Place the brie on one circle of pastry and tuck the sides up, place another circle on top of the brie and tuck the sides down, then wrap the pastry strip round it to tidy it all up.
- You can press the edges down with a fork if you want it to look REALLY neat, then decorate it with pastry scraps cut into nice shapes.
- Brush it over with a beaten egg so it will have a nice glaze when cooked.
- Bake at 180 degrees for around 20-25 minutes.
- Let it settle for around 20-30 mins then cut into thin wedges and serve.
Freeze the cheese round for 30 min. Cut in 1/2 horizontally & put numerous Tblsp of apricot preserves (or peach or pepper jelly, etc) in the middle. Cover with pastry & back as directed. Can also put pecans or sliced almonds in with preserves. Or fill with sun dried tomatoes & garlic or caramelized onions.
this was a wonderful addition to the cheese board! caution though, watch it very carefully after about 18 mins, or you might spring a leak!! I did, but it didnt take away from the flavour!