1/3 Photos of Brie & Spiced Pear Paste Sandwich
bluemoon downunder's Note:
A delicious sandwich made with your choice of bread, slices of brie, Maggie Beer's scrumptious Spiced Pear Paste and baby spinach leaves. The first time I made this I used Maggie Beer's equally delicious Apple and Rosemary Paste. On that occasion, I used sour dough bread, but I've also made this sandwich with ciabatta. I've made it as a take-to-work sandwich, which has meant that by the time I have eaten it, the brie has been wonderfully melted - making the use of margarine or butter totally unnecessary. Since making this sandwich the first time - a serendipitous creation: it was simply what I had on hand - I've added chopped walnuts as I love the textural variety that they bring to the sandwich. This sandwich would, I believe, also be delicious pan-fried, though I've not yet tried it that way. Maggie Beer is an Australian chef and writer and she produces many, many food products and drinks. Her products are available online: http://www.maggiebeer.com.au/home/. For Australian Zaar members, her Spiced Pear Paste should be readily available from any good delicatessen, greengrocer's or supermarket. Her pastes might seem expensive but a little bit goes a long way when it comes to the flavour they bring to a sandwich. And I haven't yet even begun to explore where else I might use them. Zaar would not allow me to use Maggie Beer's Spiced Pear Paste as an ingredient, so in the ingredients I have listed slices of pear and I have suggested some spices that could be added if you are using slices of pear. Add one or more of these, according to your taste preferences.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 slices sourdough bread or 2 slices ciabatta or 2 slices of your choice bread
- 3 -4 slices brie cheese
- 30 g slice pears (for Australians, Maggie Beer's Spiced Pear Paste)
- 1/4 cup walnuts (if using Maggie Beer's Spiced Pear Paste) or 1/4 cup hazelnuts, chopped or 1/4 cup pecans, chopped, if using slices of fresh pear
- 1 pinch cinnamon, if using slices fresh pear (optional)
- 1 pinch nutmeg, if using slices fresh pear (optional)
- 1 pinch ginger powder, if using slices fresh pear (optional)
- 1/4 cup baby spinach leaves
- 1Place slices of brie on a slice of bread, and spread Maggie Beer's paste on the other slice of bread.
- 2Sprinkle the chopped walnuts on top of the brie, add the baby spinach leaves, (and if you are unable to access Maggie Beer's Spiced Pear Paste add the slices of pear); then place the slice on which the Spiced Pear Paste has been spread on top of the slice containing the brie, walnuts and baby spinach leaves; cut the sandwich in half; put in the fridge ready to be grabbed on your way out the door next morning!
- 3OR if you are using slices of pear, add chopped hazelnuts or chopped pecans, add the spices of your choice, then place the other slice on top of the slice containing the brie, nuts (of your choice) and baby spinach leaves; cut the sandwich in half; put in the fridge ready to be grabbed on your way out the door next morning!
- 4OR, if you're enjoying this sandwich at a more leisurely pace, enjoy it when you're ready to eat it. But allowing it to sit for a while out of the fridge is essential if you want to really enjoy the brie at its best.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Brie & Spiced Pear Paste Sandwich
Serving Size: 1 (195 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 572.4
- Calories from Fat 207
- Total Fat 23.0 g
- Saturated Fat 2.6 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 786.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 78.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.5 g
- Sugars 5.9 g
- Protein 16.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: