My sister gave this recipe to me many years ago. It's become a family favorite. My kids request it often. I am not a big fan of Velveeta cheese, but it sure does work in this recipe! The soup is creamy and highly satisfying. Enjoy :-)
- Put the first 7 ingredients into a large soup pot, on medium high heat.
- Cook until the vegetables are tender - about 10-15 minutes - while you make the white sauce.
- White Sauce:.
- In another pot, melt the butter over medium heat.
- Gradually add the flour and whisk - until blended. (Don't burn).
- Stir in the milk and salt to the flour mixture and keep stirring until it gets thick and smooth. (I've never timed this step - I'm guessing it's about 10 minutes or so.).
- Add the Velveeta and stir until blended. Make sure not to boil this mixture.
- Now you can add this white sauce to the vegetable mixture.
- Heat through and enjoy the comfort!