This is my wife's long time recipe. I think it is even better made with cauliflower.
Make and share this Broccoli Cheese Soup recipe from Food.com.
- 2 lbs fresh broccoli, cut into bite size pieces,and steamed until fairly tender
- 1 pint half-and-half
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can chicken broth (or 1 cup broth and 1 cup beer)
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 dash cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 lbs velveeta process American cheese, cubed
- 1⁄2 cup cornstarch, mixed with
- 1 cup white wine or 1 cup beer or 1 cup chicken broth
- Place half-and-half and chicken broth in top of a double boiler.
- Add salt, pepper mustard, cayenne, Worcestershire, and cubed Velveeta cheese.
- Heat until cheese is melted and mixture is creamy.
- Add broccoli.
- Stir cornstarch mixture, and stir into cheese mixture.
- Heat over simmering water until soup thickens.
- Taste, and adjust seasonings as necessary.
Insanely cheesey and thick! I am renaming this "EXTREME cheesey broccoli soup!" ;) My half and half was fat free. I added some chopped onions. I chopped my broccoli pretty small before cooking. I had only 1 lb of 2% Velveeta, so I had to use 1 lb of cheddar also. You could probably stop at 1 lb, but that wouldn't be as fun. It's also nice and thick before adding the cornstarch/wine mixture. The cornstarch and wine makes it super thick and the wine adds some more flavor. I can see where some people may want to thin this with some extra milk. This is the kind of soup that is GREAT for small children because it really will cling to their spoon! I thank you for posting this awesome soup. I can see where this recipe will be demanded in my house often!
I doubled the recipe for a soup night. The only thing that I didn't double was the cheese - I thought 4 pounds would be too much. My husband and parents and I liked the soup but the kids didn't like it at all - I think it was the worcestershire sauce taste that they didn't favor.(Maybe if I had added all the cheese the taste wouldn't have been so intense)
This soup is very rich in taste and surely hits the spot. I didn't have a double boiler big enough so had to be creative. LOL I put one of my heat resitent spongeware bowls over a large pot of water. I used chicken broth instead of white wine. This was the best broccoli cheese soup I have ever made. Served it with a side salad and dinner rolls. A true keeper. This recipe is nice enough to serve to overnight quests.