This is my wife's long time recipe. I think it is even better made with cauliflower.
Make and share this Broccoli Cheese Soup recipe from Food.com.
- 2 lbs fresh broccoli, cut into bite size pieces,and steamed until fairly tender
- 1 pint half-and-half
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can chicken broth (or 1 cup broth and 1 cup beer)
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 dash cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 lbs velveeta process American cheese, cubed
- 1⁄2 cup cornstarch, mixed with
- 1 cup white wine or 1 cup beer or 1 cup chicken broth
- Place half-and-half and chicken broth in top of a double boiler.
- Add salt, pepper mustard, cayenne, Worcestershire, and cubed Velveeta cheese.
- Heat until cheese is melted and mixture is creamy.
- Add broccoli.
- Stir cornstarch mixture, and stir into cheese mixture.
- Heat over simmering water until soup thickens.
- Taste, and adjust seasonings as necessary.