Compliments of Delia Smith's Christmas Cookbook. This is from the vegetarian section of the book. Cooking and prep time does not include the making of the homemade stock.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 ounces broccoli
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 leeks, rinsed and chopped (whites only)
- 2 tablespoons oats (whizzed in blender to a fine powder)
- 20 ounces milk
- 20 ounces vegetable stock (cube or make your own using ingredients below)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 6 ounces cream cheese
- 1MAKE VEGGIE STOCK FIRST (if you are using the homemade version). Simply place all the ingredients in a saucepan, cover with a lid and bring to a boil. Boil for 30 minutes. Strain and discard all the solids. The stock is now ready for use.
- 2Trim the broccoli into tiny florets of 1/4 inch and rinse to remove any dust and dirt. Chop the stalk parts quite small also but keep separate from the florets.
- 3In a large saucepan, melt butter. Add the onions, leeks and broccoli stalks (you'll be adding the florets later). Stir well then cover the pan and leave the veggies to sweat for 10 minutes.
- 4Stir in the oats then add the milk, a little at a time, stirring well after each addition.
- 5When all the milk is in, add the veggie stock. Stir well and season as necessary. Simmer gently for a further 10 minutes. Turn off the heat and allow the soup to cool for about 10 minutes.
- 6In the meantime, steam the broccoli florets for exactly 4 minutes.
- 7Pour the soup and the cream cheese into a food processor and blend until smooth.
- 8Return the soup to the pan (which you have rinsed out), add the broccoli and reheat gently.
- 9Check for seasoning.
- 10Serve with toasted croutons or oatcakes.
Browse Our Top Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Broccoli Cream Cheese Soup
Serving Size: 1 (335 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 271.3
- Calories from Fat 162
- Total Fat 18.0 g
- Saturated Fat 11.0 g
- Cholesterol 55.6 mg
- Sodium 600.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 21.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.4 g
- Sugars 4.8 g
- Protein 8.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: