1/5 Photos of Broccoli Mac - Lazy Delicious
It does take a little more effort than box macaroni, but it's totally worth it. Besides, it doesn't really take any more time, because you make the sauce while the noodles cook! The added cottage cheese keeps it creamy and cheesy even with less cheddar, no butter, and less oil. If you want to bake it, sprinkle some buttered bread crumbs on top and bake it in a greased dish at 350F for 30-35 minutes. I'm usually too much in a hurry to want to wait for it to finish baking, so stove top macaroni is king at our house!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup macaroni (or other smallish pasta)
- 1 cup frozen broccoli florets
- 3 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 teaspoons flour
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce (Frank's Red Hot)
- 1 cup low fat cottage cheese, pureed
- 1 cup extra-sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1Cook pasta according to package directions, adding broccoli to the boiling water during the last 5 minutes of cooking time. Prepare cheese sauce while pasta and broccoli are cooking.
- 2Heat oil in a medium heavy bottomed saucepan over medium heat. Add onions and cook until soft and translucent. Add garlic and cook until fragrant (not more than 2 minutes). Sprinkle the flour over the onions and cook, stirring constantly, for 2-3 minutes or until the mixture is lightly golden.
- 3Gradually whisk in the milk, being careful to avoid lumps. Add the mustard and hot pepper sauce and bring the sauce to a simmer to thicken. Remove from heat, add cottage cheese and cheddar cheese and stir well.
- 4Dump in the (cooked and drained) macaroni and broccoli, stir once more, and then allow to stand, covered, for 5-10 minutes. The sauce will thicken even more as it stands with the pasta.
- 5Season to taste.
Browse Our Top Elbow Macaroni Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Elbow Macaroni Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Broccoli Mac - Lazy Delicious
Serving Size: 1 (549 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 796.4
- Calories from Fat 348
- Total Fat 38.7 g
- Saturated Fat 20.6 g
- Cholesterol 103.9 mg
- Sodium 1099.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 64.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.8 g
- Sugars 4.3 g
- Protein 48.1 g