This casserole has an oriental flavor and kids love it! If you wish to make this a do ahead recipe just leave the noodles off until just before you pop it into the oven. Serve over cooked rice or mashed potatoes
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 2 large onions, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, smashed (optional)
- 1 3⁄4 cups celery, sliced in 1/2-inch pieces
- 8 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 8 ounces canned sliced water chestnuts
- 12 ounces fresh bean sprouts
- 1 (16 ounce) can diced tomatoes, with juice
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 cups crisp chow mein noodles
- Heat oven to 350F degrees.
- Cook beef until brown & crumbly.
- Turn the cooked beef into a 2 1/2 quart casserole.
- Pour off any grease from skillet.
- Add onions, garlic, celery and mushrooms to the skillet; sauté until cooked but still crisp.
- Add veggies to the meat in the casserole then fold in the bean sprouts, water chestnuts and tomatoes with the juice.
- In a small bowl, blend the cornstarch with the soy sauce and stir into the mixture.
- Top with chow mein noodles.
- Bake uncovered 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- Serve with rice or mashed potatoes.