Caramelized Onion and Canadian Bacon Strata
- Melt butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add onion, and sauté 4 minutes.
- Reduce heat; cook 10 minutes or until golden brown, stirring occasionally.
- Add bell pepper; cook for 1 minute.
- Remove from heat; stir in bacon.
- Arrange 3 cups bread in an 11x7-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray; top with half of onion mixture.
- Repeat layer with remaining bread and onion mixture.
- Combine milk and next 5 ingredients (milk through eggs) in a medium bowl; stir well with a whisk.
- Pour egg mixture over bread mixture, and top with the cheese.
- Cover and refrigerate at least 8 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Let the casserole stand 30 minutes at room temperature.
- Uncover and bake at 375°F for 40 minutes or until golden brown.
- Let stand 5 minutes before serving.