Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 hrs
- 4.92 ml butter
- 354.88 ml vertically sliced onions
- 314.66 ml finely chopped red bell peppers
- 177.44 ml chopped Canadian bacon
- 1419.54 ml sourdough bread, cut into 1 inch cubes (about 12 ounces)
- cooking spray
- 473.18 ml 1% low-fat milk
- 22.18 ml spicy brown mustard
- 1.23 ml salt
- 1.23 ml fresh ground black pepper
- 4 large egg whites
- 2 large eggs
- 236.59 ml shredded swiss cheese (4 ounces)
- Melt butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add onion, and sauté 4 minutes.
- Reduce heat; cook 10 minutes or until golden brown, stirring occasionally.
- Add bell pepper; cook for 1 minute.
- Remove from heat; stir in bacon.
- Arrange 3 cups bread in an 11x7-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray; top with half of onion mixture.
- Repeat layer with remaining bread and onion mixture.
- Combine milk and next 5 ingredients (milk through eggs) in a medium bowl; stir well with a whisk.
- Pour egg mixture over bread mixture, and top with the cheese.
- Cover and refrigerate at least 8 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Let the casserole stand 30 minutes at room temperature.
- Uncover and bake at 375°F for 40 minutes or until golden brown.
- Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
This was easier to make than I expected and completely delicious (we ate WAY too much of it). I had a little trouble fitting it into an 11x7 pan; next time I'll go with a 12x8 or 9x13.
This strata was very good. We particularly liked the spicy brown mustard. It added a very nice flavor. The only thing that I will change next time is the amount of egg. We prefer more an egg texture than bread, so I will try 1.5 the amount of eggs next time to see if we like that better.
Delicious! This was a mighty fine way to use up some day-old homemade sourdough bread I had laying around. I used Gruyère for the cheese and guess I should confess, I did add a tad extra. :) We loved it--thanks for posting!