I told my wife that I said her Broccoli Cheese Soup also made great cauliflower soup, and she ordered me to send this recipe, which is her variation of her mom's recipe. This is good, but I think the Broccoli Soup variation is better... just a matter of taste, I guess.
- 1 head cauliflower, cut into small pieces
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup flour, about
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper, more to taste
- 2 cups milk
- 1 -2 tablespoon instant chicken bouillon granules
- 3 -4 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese (12-16 oz)
- In a large saucepan.
- simmer cauliflower in chicken broth until slightly softened, and set aside, leaving in broth.
- Saute onions in melted butter until soft.
- Season with pepper, add flour, and continue to cook over medium heat for about 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add flour mixture to cauliflower and chicken broth, and stir carefully so that cauliflower doesn't break up.
- Add milk and bouillon granules.
- Increase heat, and cook until thickened and starting to boil.
- Reduce, heat, and add cheese by handfuls, mixing between each addition, stirring until melted and combined.
- Do not allow to boil after adding cheese.