Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
I told my wife that I said her Broccoli Cheese Soup also made great cauliflower soup, and she ordered me to send this recipe, which is her variation of her mom's recipe. This is good, but I think the Broccoli Soup variation is better... just a matter of taste, I guess.
- 1 head cauliflower, cut into small pieces
- 2 (822.13 g) can reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 118.29 ml chopped onion
- 118.29 ml butter
- 118.29 ml flour, about
- 1.23 ml fresh ground black pepper, more to taste
- 473.18 ml milk
- 14.79-29.58 ml instant chicken bouillon granules
- 709.77-946.36 ml shredded sharp cheddar cheese (12-16 oz)
- In a large saucepan.
- simmer cauliflower in chicken broth until slightly softened, and set aside, leaving in broth.
- Saute onions in melted butter until soft.
- Season with pepper, add flour, and continue to cook over medium heat for about 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add flour mixture to cauliflower and chicken broth, and stir carefully so that cauliflower doesn't break up.
- Add milk and bouillon granules.
- Increase heat, and cook until thickened and starting to boil.
- Reduce, heat, and add cheese by handfuls, mixing between each addition, stirring until melted and combined.
- Do not allow to boil after adding cheese.
The BEST cauliflower soup!! My husband, kids and mom LOVE it!!!
This is sooooo good. Better than any other I've tried and so simple to make. Whipped up a batch in no time. Delicious. Will be a staple in our house during the winter months. Can't wait to try your brocolli-cheddar soup also. I didn't add the extra bullion as I was out and used mild cheddar as that was all I had and still super. Thanks for sharing this recipe.
The best Cauliflower soup I've ever tried! Used homemade chicken stock.