Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This soup is thicker than soup and thinner than steamed broccoli spears with cheese sauce, but definitely something that you could eat the whole pot of easily. Don't put this on your plate, it goes in a bowl for maximum comfort. Don't need crackers; for something fancy, serve in a bread bowl or with a lovely piece of crusty bread. YUM! I've never frozen this; it usually doesn't last past a second meal.
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups milk (or 3 c. milk, no half & half)
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 1 cup bagged shredded cheddar cheese
- 1⁄4 lb processed cheese, cut into smaller cubes (I use Walmart brand Velveeta)
- 1 (16 ounce) bag frozen broccoli, chopped into bite-sized pieces (thawing not necessary)
- In a large stockpot, melt the butter. When melted, stir in the flour and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the broth, milk & cream, and salt. Bring to a boil and reduce heat. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Stir in the cheese and broccoli. Simmer for 10 minutes. Serve.
- Note: If this is not thick enough for you, make some thickening from cornstarch and water; increase heat to just under boiling and stir in rapidly to prevent lumps.
LOVE. IT. but use fresh broccoli instead of frozen.
I altered the recipe a bit because I really love cheese, so I added an extra cup of shredded sharp cheddar cheese and an extra 4oz of velveeta. I also added some garlic and pepper while it was simmering. All and all, I really liked it and would make it again!
i added celery onion and garlic in with the butter and my family loved it.