1/1 Photo of Cheese and Broccoli Soup
Redneck Epicurean's Note:
This soup is thicker than soup and thinner than steamed broccoli spears with cheese sauce, but definitely something that you could eat the whole pot of easily. Don't put this on your plate, it goes in a bowl for maximum comfort. Don't need crackers; for something fancy, serve in a bread bowl or with a lovely piece of crusty bread. YUM! I've never frozen this; it usually doesn't last past a second meal.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 cup butter or 1/4 cup margarine
- 1/4 cup flour
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups milk (or 3 c. milk, no half & half)
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 1 cup bagged shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 lb processed cheese, cut into smaller cubes (I use Walmart brand Velveeta)
- 1 (16 ounce) bag frozen broccoli, chopped into bite-sized pieces (thawing not necessary)
- 1In a large stockpot, melt the butter. When melted, stir in the flour and cook for 2 minutes.
- 2Add the broth, milk & cream, and salt. Bring to a boil and reduce heat. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- 3Stir in the cheese and broccoli. Simmer for 10 minutes. Serve.
- 4Note: If this is not thick enough for you, make some thickening from cornstarch and water; increase heat to just under boiling and stir in rapidly to prevent lumps.
Browse Our Top Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cheese and Broccoli Soup
Serving Size: 1 (2234 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 276.5
- Calories from Fat 183
- Total Fat 20.3 g
- Saturated Fat 12.5 g
- Cholesterol 58.9 mg
- Sodium 847.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 11.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.8 g
- Sugars 2.2 g
- Protein 13.1 g