Cook1 hr 10 mins
My family's favourite meatloaf (OK, sometimes my little one picks out the mushrooms). This one is really good.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 10 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
- 2⁄3 cup fresh breadcrumb
- 1⁄2 cup minced parsley
- 1⁄4 cup ketchup
- 1 egg, beaten to blend
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme, crumbled
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried sage, crumbled
- 1 1⁄2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- Heat oil in skillet over medium heat.
- Add onion and sauté until translucent, about 4 minutes.
- Add garlic and mushrooms.
- Cook until mushrooms are golden-brown and liquid evaporates, about 8-9 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175C).
- Mix beef and everything else but cheese.
- Turn out onto large square of plastic wrap.
- Pat into 9 x 12 inch rectangle.
- Spread mushroom filling over rectangle, leaving a ½ inch border on all sides.
- Cover mushrooms with cheese.
- Starting at one short end, roll up jelly roll fashion. Take time and lovingly pat it into a compact shape to fit into your loaf pan - this will ensure that it doesn't crack as it bakes.
- Arrange seam side down in 9 x 5 inch loaf pan.
- (Can be prepared up to 6 hours ahead. Cover and refrigerate) Bake until loaf shrinks from sides of pan and browns, about 1 hour.
- Pour off any drippings.
- Gently turn out loaf and let stand 10 minutes before slicing.