So good with a big mug of steaming hot, sweet tea! I sometimes like to serve these with pickled onions on the side, too. My favorite pickles to use for this are the wonderfully crisp and fresh-tasting bread & butter pickles sold at Trader Joe's.
- 2 slices whole wheat bread
- mayonnaise, to taste (I just spread thinly on each slice)
- mustard, to taste (whatever kind you like, I like yellow or spicy stone-ground)
- 1 -2 slice cheddar cheese (better with a at least a medium-sharp cheddar, if not sharp cheddar)
- 1⁄4 cup bread and butter pickles, drained (or to taste)
- Spread mayonnaise and mustard on bread. Trim cheese slices to fit bread and place on one slice. Lay pickles over cheese and top with second slice of bread.
- This is a little easier to eat if cut in half, since the pickle slices tend to want to escape.
Delicious! I used to take these with me for lunch when I worked at the John C. Campbell Folk School. Add some grapes and it was a perfect lunch! Thanks! Made for Everyday is a Holiday game.
This sandwich really grows on you! I grew up eating cheese and mustard sandwiches with pickles on the side. This puts it all together and is yummy! The sweetness of the bread and butter pickles and sour mustard gave it a sweet-and-sour zing that is delicious. Thanks for a new lunchtime favorite Halcyon Eve.
Yum! I used vintage sharp Australian Tasty cheddar and dill pickles (don't have bread and butter pickles in my region) and this sandwich tasted yummy. You're right everything wanted to escape out of the bread so it wasn't very pretty, but who cares it was gone within minutes. Thank you Halcyon Eve