With football season and the holidays coming up I am always looking for great appetizers. I found this one at Land O Lakes site and am posting for safe keeping. I plan to make this soon, and will update. Note: Prep time doesn't include thaw time.
- 1 loaf frozen white bread dough, thawed according to package directions (1-pound loaf)
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1⁄2 teaspoon onion salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon liquid smoke, if desired
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded (or Monterey Jack)
- 5 slices bacon, crumbled and crisply cooked
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- Press dough into greased 15x10x1-inch jelly-roll pan or into 15x10x1-inch rectangle on large greased baking sheet.
- Combine melted butter, onion salt and liquid smoke in small bowl. Brush evenly over dough. Cover; let rise in warm place until double in size (45 to 60 minutes).
- Heat oven to 375°F Prick dough carefully all over with fork. Sprinkle cheese and bacon evenly over dough. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until edges of dough are golden brown and cheese begins to brown. Sprinkle with parsley. Cool 10 minutes. Cut into serving pieces; serve warm.
- Recipe Tip
- If thawed dough is cold let stand covered, about 30 minutes at room temperature before pressing into pan.
- Recipe Tip
- To reheat snack bread, heat oven to 350°F Wrap bread in aluminum foil. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes or until heated through.
What a fantastic game-day snack! If you don't believe me ask my hubby as he loved this bread. I could not find a frozen bread dough at my local store so I just made up a batch of bread dough in my bread machine and pulled it out after it finished rising. I used an 11"x7" stoneware pan for baking and formed the dough into that size. The toppings were spot on with flavors (I did skip on the liquid smoke) and this was really tasty. Thanks for sharing diner!! Made for Potluck Tag Game.
Well, this was super yummy! I made my own bread dough and left out off the bacon. lol I know that changes the recipe a bit. I was going to add the bacon to my husbands portion, but changed my mind. I'm sure it's wonderful with, but we really enjoyed it without and would make it again with and add just a bit more liquid smoke. This bread smells amazing while baking and is soooo good fresh out of the oven, but it reheats well. I used it the next day for a sandwich and loved that too!Really can't go wrong with this yummy treat. Thanks for sharing the recipe.
This will definately make a great football snack this year, but made this afternoon as a trial run.. and we really enjoyed it here . Made for a great late lunch, did not adjust the recipe, and the cooking time was right on the $$ (money.) Kids can't wait to have again.. Made for 1-2-3 hits..