Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
A family favorite - flavorful and comforting on a cold winter evening.
Make and share this Cheesy Broccoli Soup recipe from Food.com.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs fresh broccoli (or 2 10 oz packages frozen chopped broccoli)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups light cream
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- Wash and chop broccoli into bite size pieces.
- Cook broccoli in a small amount of salted water until tender.
- While broccoli is cooking, melt butter in heavy saucepan. Add onion and cook until tender and translucent.
- Stir in flour to make roux; slowly add broth and cream.
- Stir and cook just until thickened.
- Add salt, nutmeg, and drained,cooked broccoli.
- Just before serving, stir in cheese.
- Serve with crusty bread.
Just how I like my broccoli cheese soup! It's just the right texture and thickness. Great flavor from the onions and that hint of nutmeg. I've always loved the hint of nutmeg in my cream soups. I used the fresh broccoli and used fat free half and half for the light cream. My cheese was sharp cheddar. Thanx for a wonderful soup!
I made this soup last night and we loved it. My mother-in-law even liked it. Made it exactly as the directions said, next time I might put a different kind of cheese in there and maybe add a little bit of carrots not much tho. Will so be making this again......
The best cream of broccoli soup I have ever tasted and easy to make also. The only ingredient I did not use in making the soup was the nutmeg.