Prep 3 hrs
Cook 0 mins
My dad made these when I was a kid and now it is a staple at every family barbecue. My DH has turned it into his 'pet recipe' and I must say, it is DElicious! The times are approximate because we always cook it on the grill although it can be done in the oven and they vary depending on the size of cabbage you use. Also you may not need all of the butter and probably only half of the cheese, but we always make at least two heads.
- Lay cabbage on its top with the core facing up.
- Carefully cut the core out of the cabbage and hollow it out about halfway deep and about 2 inches across.
- Generously salt and pepper the cabbage.
- Fill the hole with butter and wrap in two layers of foil.
- Put cabbage on top rack of your grill and cook on medium heat for about 2 hours or until soft. Again times may vary.
- Open foil and fill hole with cheez whiz.
- Recover and put back on grill until cheese has had a chance to melt through.
- Slice and serve.
An utterly and completely surprise of a dish. The cabbage becomes very tender and once the cheese is added it morphs into a gratin of sorts. Next time, and there WILL be a next time, I think I'll experiment and add a bouillon cube to the center. My husband suggested adding a jalepeno and topping afterwards with bacon. All I can say is...I do love a good surprise!
This was a great idea. Guests loved it and it was even better the next day. I wish the cheese and butter would have permeated the leaves of the cabbage more. It all just sat there in a pool. A small head too over 2 hours on my grill.