Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
Who needs Shake 'n' Bake? Do-it-yourself and with a little imagination, create your own variations! Serve with a tossed green salad and a baked potato for a complete meal!
- 4 chicken legs (Perdue preferred)
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 large ziploc bag
- 1⁄2 cup dry breadcrumbs (Panko preferred)
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, grated (I've used reduced fat Kraft parmesan, too!)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- In the Ziploc bag, combine the bread crumbs, parmesan, salt, pepper, paprika and garlic powder.
- Brush each chicken piece with the olive oil, then drop singly, into the crumb mix in the Ziploc bag and shake well to coat.
- Place each coated chicken piece together on an UNgreased cookie sheet.
- Bake in the preheated 375°F oven for 1 hour or until the chicken is 170° and the juices run clear.
- Variations: This is a hugely versatile recipe, where seasonings are interchangeable depending on the type of cuisine you're aiming for --.
- Make it a little Italian by swapping out the paprika for some italian seasoning; Make it a little Tex-Mex by swapping out the paprika and garlic powder for chili powder and ground cumin -- you get the idea.
- If you're anything like many cooks, you probably have all kinds seasonings lurking in your cupboard; Throw caution to the four winds and experiment a little -- see what you come up with!
Made two times.Very good and easy.Good 5. star.
This was REALLY good! I was tired of doing chicken the same old way so I came on here and started looking.I stumbled upon this and was happy I did! It was super easy to make and tasted delicious. the only thing I added was that when I finished I had leftover breading, so I sprinkled it as a layer on the bottom of the pan. not sure if it added anything, but it looked nice. Thank you for sharing this recipe, I look forward to making it again!
This was SO GOOD! The only change I made was to double the parmesan cheese and I went ahead and used the optional 1/2 tsp. of salt. This could put Shake and Bake out of business! Thanks for sharing! UPDATE: It has been several years since I first reviewed this recipe, and I now have two small children. I make this recipe often and my kids love it! Panko bread crumbs really make a difference and I've found that I can really tweak this recipe to accommodate just about anyone's tastes. We still really enjoy the double parmesan and a double dip in the bread crumbs. Occasionally, I will add Italian seasonings or poultry seasoning. Thank you again for a truly wonderful and EASY recipe!