Cook1 hr 10 mins
This comforting meatloaf is filled with cheese. Recipe is from At Home Cafe, by Helen Puckett DeFrance.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs lean ground beef
- 3 eggs
- 3⁄4 cup salsa
- 3⁄4 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2 cup celery, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup onion, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons dry creole seasoning
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 lb mozzarella cheese, sliced
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- In large bowl, gently mix all ingredients except cheese.
- Transfer half of meat mixture to 9x5-inch loaf pan.
- Top with cheese; cover with remaining meat mixture.
- Bake 60-70 minutes until meat thermometer inserted into center of loaf registers 170 degrees F.
- Let meatloaf rest in pan 20 minutes before serving.
Surprisingly delicious! It is such a simple recipe but this is just THE perfect combination of ingredients. Definitely a keeper - loved by my husband AND 18 month old! I used ground turkey and spread a thin layer of ketchup over the top after 45 min of cooking. I also omitted the creole seasoning (didn't have on hand) and minced garlic (simply fogot to add it, but will next time) and it tasted amazing. Thank you, thank you!
I really enjoyed this. It is not a traditional meatloaf. It is more of a Mexican meatloaf. It is a little bit spicy, which I love. I used "hot" salsa, so mine had some kick. Next time I will use Monterrey Jack or a Mexican blend for the cheese instead of Mozzarella and see how that tastes. Thanks for posting! I made this for Everyday is a Holiday tag!