Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is a savory,hearty quiche that even men who "don't eat quiche" will love. This recipe is from a childhood friend of my husband.
- Brown sausage and drain then rinse with hot water to remove excess fat.
- Place sliced onion in drippings from sausage and cook until onions are translucent.
- Remove and blot in paper towel to remove excess fat.
- Mix sausage and cheese with green pepper (optional) and add flour and mix until coated with flour.
- Place in unbaked pie shell.
- Place onions ontop of quiche.
- Mix spices with beaten egg and add evaporated milk, and stir.
- Pour milk mixture evenly over the quiche.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes or until quiche is set.
- Let set for 10 minutes before serving.
We have an abundance of sausage on hand, so I was looking for a recipe to use some up. I like that it is not real eggy, just enough to hold it all together. I baked the quiche without a pie crust. I just sprayed the pie pan. I used a 10" pie pan, but will use a 9" next time. We try to watch our sodium intake, but didn't find this recipe too salty. My whole family liked it. I will be baking this quiche again and trying different cheeses. Thank you for posting the recipe.
Made this for Christmas morning. All loved it, especially the men! Made it ahead the night before, however did not pour the egg/milk mixture in until the next morning to avoid a soggy crust. I also didn't have a deep dish pie pan so I used an 8X8 square pan and lined it with pie crust. Good the next morning too! I cut back on the salt per other reviews. Will make again!
Fantastic! If I could give it 6 stars, I would. I used a deep dish crust and prebaked it. I added a well drained can of mushrooms to the filling. Other reviews said it was too salty. so I used about 1/2 tsp of chopped garlic instead of garlic salt. I also cut back on the seasoned salt. My baking time was closer to an hour until I felt the center was sufficiently cooked and risen. The overall flavor was amazing.