Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Try any firm, sweet tart apple such as Braeburn or golden delicious apples.The chicken can be prepared ahead of time and cooked later.
- 6 large boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 ounces goat cheese
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon rind
- 1 large firm apple, peeled, cored, and shredded
- flour, for dusting
- 1 large egg
- 1 1⁄3 cups breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Place chicken breast on a large sheet of waxed or plastic; cover with another sheet; pound chicken breast to 1/4 inch thickness, remove the top sheet and season with salt and pepper.
- Combine the goat cheese, lemon rind, and apple; divide the apple mixture among the chicken breast and spread the mixture evenly over half the surface of each breast; fold each breast in half and press the edges together, forming a pocket.
- Sprinkle the flour onto a sheet of waxed paper.
- In a small bowl combine the egg and water; In a shallow bowl, combine the bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese.
- Dust each chicken breast lightly with flour and dip into egg mixture, moistening all surfaces.
- Coat with bread crumb mixture, patting the crumbs gently in place. (The chicken can be prepared to this point several hours ahead; cover and refrigerate, when ready to cook, bring the chicken to room temperature).
- In a large, heavy skillet, heat butter and oil over medium heat; Add chicken; cook until browned and cooked through, about 8 to 10 minutes per side, drain on paper towels and serve.