Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
I got this recipe many years ago from a friend under the name of Viva La Chicken, but that's never what we call it. Regardless of the name, it is one of the favorites in my family and very easy to make. Times do not include letting it sit in the refrigerator overnight.
- 4 chicken breasts, cooked and diced
- 12 corn tortillas
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of chicken soup
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup (or other creamed soup of your choice)
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup salsa
- 1 lb cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 small onion, finely chopped (optional)
- Cut tortillas into strips or squares.
- In a large bowl, combine canned soups, salsa, and milk to form a sauce.
- Add grated cheese, chicken cubes, tortilla pieces, and chopped onions.
- Toss all ingredients until well mixed.
- Put into greased casserole dish.
- Cover and let sit in refrigerator overnight.
- Bake, covered, at 350 degrees for about 45 minutes (or until hot and bubbly).
I love this recipe. It was given to me with directions to layer the chicken, tortillas and sauce. I now use Tostitos Gold Tortilla Chips crushed instead of the tortillas and LaVictoria Thick N' Chunky Salsa Verde. Just wonderful.
I uncover the casserole five minutes or so before done and top it with crushed doritos -- makes it look great! Serve with sour cream and salsa. My clients love it (i'm a caterer)
I made a roasted chicken last night for supper and had alot leftover. So, I cut all the meat into bite size pieces inplace of chicken breasts. Also I alternated into layers and cut the cheddar cheese 12oz.I think it could be cut more yet. Was a very flavorful dish,nice way to use chicken leftovers..Maybe turkey next time....