This is another recipes that's been around for years. It tastes like real chile rellenos, but is a lot easier to make. Serve with hot flour and corn tortillas and butter, with a simple salad.
- 1⁄2 lb cheddar cheese, grated (about 2 cups)
- 1⁄2 lb monterey jack cheese, grated (about 2 cups)
- 3 (4 ounce) cans whole green chilies
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 (5 ounce) cans evaporated milk
- 2 -3 eggs
- 1 (16 ounce) can tomato sauce, with
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano, added
- hot tortilla, and
- butter, as accompaniment
- Grease a 8-9" square baking dish.
- Layer in the following order; half of chilies (split open and laid flat), Jack cheese, remaining chilies, cheddar cheese.
- Mix flour, milk and eggs.
- Pour over layered ingredients.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 45 minutes.
- Pour tomato sauce over top and bake for an additional 15 minutes.
- Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.