1/2 Photos of Corn, Cheese and Chili Soup
Kumquat the Cat's friend's Note:
Truly the best soup I ever tasted. It's quick and easy and always turns out great. It's an adaptation of a recipe from a James McNair cookbook I found years ago and have been making it ever since. As you probably already know, if you like cheese soup to be as smooth as possible use processed cheese like Velveeta. Adding 1 cup of milk makes a richer soup, but it could be omitted and would still taste great.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen corn
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced (or pressed)
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup fresh tomato, chopped (or canned and drained)
- 1 (4 ounce) can green chilies, diced
- 3 cups vegetable broth (or 2 Knorr vegetable bouillon cubes dissolved in 3 cups water)
- 12 ounces low-fat sharp cheddar cheese or 12 ounces Velveeta cheese, shredded
- 1 cup milk (optional)
- salt, to taste
- cayenne pepper, to taste
- 1melt butter in large saucepan over medium heat.
- 2add onion and saute until soft, about 5 minutes.
- 3stir in garlic and saute 1 minute.
- 4add flour and stir for 2 minutes.
- 5add corn, chiles, tomatoes and broth.
- 6bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 7slowly stir cheese (and milk if desired) into soup and heat, stirring frequently until cheese melts, about 5 minutes.
- 8do not bring to a boil.
- 9add salt and cayenne pepper to taste and serve.
Browse Our Top Cheese Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Corn, Cheese and Chili Soup
Serving Size: 1 (232 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 214.3
- Calories from Fat 77
- Total Fat 8.5 g
- Saturated Fat 5.1 g
- Cholesterol 22.8 mg
- Sodium 407.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 18.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.3 g
- Sugars 3.2 g
- Protein 17.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: