1/3 Photos of Country Style California Olive, Thyme and Cheese Scones/Biscuits
French Tart's Note:
This Californian olive recipe was sent to me by some lovely Bed and Breakfast guests (now good friends), who come from Temecula in California. They have stayed with us a couple of times now and love this part of SW France, and the food and wine! They grow olives and avocados, and regularly send me a selection of "California Growers" recipe leaflets, magazines and cookbooks, as well as a box of avocados every year! Always a treat! I have made these scones/biscuits several times now for appetisers and nibbles, as well as for picnics - they are delicious when eaten warm with fresh butter, mustard and ham. I make these with French olives, but I am sure my friends don't mind!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups cake flour (Self raising flour)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda (Bicarbonate of soda)
- 1/3 cup cold unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup sliced california ripe black olives
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- fresh thyme, to taste (about 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme)
- 3/4 cup 2% buttermilk
- butter, to spread
- 1 tablespoon honey mustard (optional)
- 3 ounces thinly sliced ham (optional)
- 1Combine flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda in a large mixing bowl. Cut in butter with a fork or your fingers until mixture resembles looks like tiny pebbles.
- 2Stir in California Ripe Olives, chopped fresh thyme and cheddar cheese. Pour in buttermilk and knead just until dough comes together.
- 3Roll out on a lightly floured surface to about 1-inch thick. Cut into discs with a 3-inch scone/biscuit cutter and place onto a baking sheet.
- 4Bake in a 235C or 475F oven for 9-11 minutes until golden brown and well risen.
- 5Serve warm with butter, or mustard and sliced ham.
Browse Our Top Scones Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Scones Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Country Style California Olive, Thyme and Cheese Scones/Biscuits
Serving Size: 1 (128 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 479.2
- Calories from Fat 205
- Total Fat 22.8 g
- Saturated Fat 13.2 g
- Cholesterol 57.3 mg
- Sodium 892.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 57.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.7 g
- Sugars 2.5 g
- Protein 10.9 g