Yesterday at the produce stand I got a big package of beautiful large fresh mushrooms, perfect for stuffing! In looking around for a recipe to use them with, I came across this one from Paula Deen.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup boursin cheese (herb flavored cheese, check out the recipe for Boursin-Homemade #60795)
- 1/2 cup finely minced crab (although Paula says "may use imitation" I much prefer real crab)
- 18 large mushrooms, size suitable for stuffing, brushed off well and stems removed
- 18 sheets phyllo pastry
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1Preheat oven to 400 degrees F; pan spray a baking sheet.
- 2In a small bowl, combine the cheese and crab.
- 3Place crab mixture in each of the upside-down mushroom caps, using all of the mixture.
- 4On a dry surface (you can use a lightly floured board), lay down a sheet of phyllo, brush it with a light coating of melted butter, then lay another sheet on top and repeat until you’ve done 6 sheets (you can butter every other sheet, if you like).
- 5With a sharp knife, cut the prepared phyllo lengthwise down the center, then each half into 3 pieces – you’ll have made 6 rectangles.
- 6In the center of each cut piece of phyllo, place a mushroom cheese-side-up, then season with salt and freshly ground pepper.
- 7Carefully lift the sides of the cut phyllo over the stuffed mushroom so that they resemble small bundles, then gently twist the top of each and pinch a little so that it seals.
- 8Steps four through seven prepare 6 of the 18 mushrooms – repeat those steps until you’ve used all 18 of the mushrooms (which will take two more times).
- 9Place the mushroom bundles on the pan sprayed baking sheet and brush with beaten egg.
- 10Bake in 400 degree F oven for 15 minutes or until the pastry is crisp and golden.
- 11Serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Crab Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Crab Stuffed Mushrooms En Croute
Serving Size: 1 (110 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 216.1
- Calories from Fat 99
- Total Fat 11.0 g
- Saturated Fat 5.7 g
- Cholesterol 46.7 mg
- Sodium 272.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 24.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.3 g
- Sugars 0.9 g
- Protein 5.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: