One of the best soups you will ever have! To save time cook the sausage, onion and garlic hours ahead or even a day ahead and refrigerate. If serving more than 4 people, I suggest to double the complete recipe.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 9 cups potatoes, diced (or use as many potatoes as desired)
- 6 ounces Velveeta cheese
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 1/4 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh minced garlic (or to taste)
- 1/3 cup butter
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 lbs mild sausage, cut into about 2-inch pieces (can use more than 2 pounds if desired)
- 1/3 cup flour
- 3 1/2 cups half-and-half cream or 3 1/2 cups full-fat milk
- salt and pepper
- 1/2-1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley (or to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder (optional)
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese, parmesan cheese for sprinkling (optional)
- 1Dice/cube the potatoes into any size desired, and cook them in salted water, when cooked, drain the water and set the cooked potatoes aside.
- 2Prepare the cheese mixture: over medium heat in a large heavy-bottomed saucepan, melt the 1/3 cup butter with 2 tablespoons oil.
- 3Stir/whisk in 1/3 cup flour, and mix for 1 minute.
- 4Slowly add in 1 cup half and half or milk, whisking until well blended.
- 5Add in the sour cream, Velveeta cheese and grated cheddar cheese.
- 6Now slowly add in the remaining 2-1/2 cups half and half or milk (if using); cook and stir for about 30 seconds; set aside.
- 7In a hot skillet, brown the sausage pieces, then add in the chopped onion and garlic (saute for 2 minutes).
- 8Add in the sausage/onion mixture along with the salt, pepper, basil, parsley, 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese and garlic powder (if using) into the cheese/milk mixture, and continue cooking until all of the cheese is completely melted.
- 9Add in the cooked cubed potatoes to the cheese mixture; gently mix to combine.
- 10Cook over low heat until desired temperature is reached.
- 11Ladle into serving bowls.
- 12Sprinkle with grated Parmesan cheese.
Browse Our Top Pork Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Creamy Cheesy Sausage and Potato Soup
Serving Size: 1 (714 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 2432.7
- Calories from Fat 1660
- Total Fat 184.4 g
- Saturated Fat 78.7 g
- Cholesterol 529.9 mg
- Sodium 4002.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 84.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.0 g
- Sugars 7.4 g
- Protein 106.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: