Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
One of the best soups you will ever have! To save time cook the sausage, onion and garlic hours ahead or even a day ahead and refrigerate. If serving more than 4 people, I suggest to double the complete recipe.
- 9 cups potatoes, diced (or use as many potatoes as desired)
- 6 ounces Velveeta cheese
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1 1⁄4 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh minced garlic (or to taste)
- 1⁄3 cup butter
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 lbs mild sausage, cut into about 2-inch pieces (can use more than 2 pounds if desired)
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- 3 1⁄2 cups half-and-half cream or 3 1⁄2 cups full-fat milk
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley (or to taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder (optional)
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese, parmesan cheese for sprinkling (optional)
- Dice/cube the potatoes into any size desired, and cook them in salted water, when cooked, drain the water and set the cooked potatoes aside.
- Prepare the cheese mixture: over medium heat in a large heavy-bottomed saucepan, melt the 1/3 cup butter with 2 tablespoons oil.
- Stir/whisk in 1/3 cup flour, and mix for 1 minute.
- Slowly add in 1 cup half and half or milk, whisking until well blended.
- Add in the sour cream, Velveeta cheese and grated cheddar cheese.
- Now slowly add in the remaining 2-1/2 cups half and half or milk (if using); cook and stir for about 30 seconds; set aside.
- In a hot skillet, brown the sausage pieces, then add in the chopped onion and garlic (saute for 2 minutes).
- Add in the sausage/onion mixture along with the salt, pepper, basil, parsley, 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese and garlic powder (if using) into the cheese/milk mixture, and continue cooking until all of the cheese is completely melted.
- Add in the cooked cubed potatoes to the cheese mixture; gently mix to combine.
- Cook over low heat until desired temperature is reached.
- Ladle into serving bowls.
- Sprinkle with grated Parmesan cheese.