Prep 0 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is different than any other I've seen posted. It is a super easy recipe for stovetop Mac & Cheese that is to die for! It uses evaporated milk, which keeps the cheese sauce from separating and becoming grainy like a lot of recipes I've tried do. I sometimes use a combo of cheddar cheese and Velveeta to make it extra creamy, but it is awesome with all cheddar too.
- 8 ounces macaroni, approximately 2 cups
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 (12 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard, dissolved in 1 teaspoon water
- 1⁄4 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 12 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded (3 cups)
- Bring 2 quarts water to a boil in a large pot. Stir in 1 1/2 teaspoons salt and the macaroni. Cook until almost tender but still a little firm to the bite.
- Meanwhile, mix together the eggs, half of the evaporated milk, the mustard mixture, Tabasco, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and pepper.
- Drain the pasta and return it to the pot. Set the pot over low heat and stir in butter until melted.
- Stir in the egg mixture and half of the cheese. Continue to cook over low heat, gradually stirring in the remaining milk and cheddar until the mixture is hot and creamy, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
I only used one small can of evaporated milk (my dog licked the other can), and half of the cheese, and I had a great mac n cheese. Granted, it probably wasn't as creamy, but it was a lot fewer calories. I added ham and broccoli to make it a meal.
This was really creamy and easy to make. I will definatly make this again.
Pretty good. I used about 3 cups of pasta and I had more than enough of the cheesy sauce. I could have probably used more. I think I like the baked Martha Stewart one better, but this one will do in a pinch.