1/1 Photo of Creamy Stove Top Macaroni and Cheese (America's Test Kitchen)
This is different than any other I've seen posted. It is a super easy recipe for stovetop Mac & Cheese that is to die for! It uses evaporated milk, which keeps the cheese sauce from separating and becoming grainy like a lot of recipes I've tried do. I sometimes use a combo of cheddar cheese and Velveeta to make it extra creamy, but it is awesome with all cheddar too.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Bring 2 quarts water to a boil in a large pot. Stir in 1 1/2 teaspoons salt and the macaroni. Cook until almost tender but still a little firm to the bite.
- 2Meanwhile, mix together the eggs, half of the evaporated milk, the mustard mixture, Tabasco, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and pepper.
- 3Drain the pasta and return it to the pot. Set the pot over low heat and stir in butter until melted.
- 4Stir in the egg mixture and half of the cheese. Continue to cook over low heat, gradually stirring in the remaining milk and cheddar until the mixture is hot and creamy, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Browse Our Top Elbow Macaroni Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Elbow Macaroni Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Creamy Stove Top Macaroni and Cheese (America's Test Kitchen)
Serving Size: 1 (270 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 809.3
- Calories from Fat 446
- Total Fat 49.6 g
- Saturated Fat 30.1 g
- Cholesterol 237.6 mg
- Sodium 1824.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 52.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.9 g
- Sugars 2.1 g
- Protein 37.8 g