EASY! I found a recipe (or idea) from Paula Deen, and switched up a few things to suit myself. It is much simpler than original cordon bleu and the flavor is GREAT! I use country (salty) ham, as that is what I prefer...you may substitute your favorite deli ham, of course....This is great for company and pretty quick to throw together...so tasty, and they'll think you worked for hours!
- 4 chicken breasts
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons italian seasoning
- 1 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 4 slices country ham
- 4 slices baby swiss cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Pound chicken breasts flat.
- Combine flour, garlic powder, kosher salt and pepper in shallow pan.
- Mix eggs and milk to make egg wash in shallow bowl.
- Combine bread crumbs, Italian seasoning and parmesan in separate shallow pan.
- Dredge chicken breasts in flour mixture, then egg wash mixture, then coat breasts in bread crumb mixture.
- Place olive oil and butter in skillet over medium heat; place chicken breasts in skillet and brown on both sides.(3-4 minutes per side)
- Remove from skillet and place on baking sheet for 20 minutes to finish cooking in oven.
- Place ham and cheese on top of chicken breasts and return to oven 'til cheese is melted. (approximately 5 minutes).