1/2 Photos of Easy Cheesy Lentil & Rice Casserole
After trying several complicated lentil recipes with dissatisfaction, I developed this delicious dish that is also so simple! Even my 3 year old loves it! Great side dish or a yummy vegetarian meal.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Use a big pot and cook onion in margarine until soft.
- 2In a bowl, stir together bouillon and hot water.
- 3Add lentils, rice, bouillon-water mixture and cold water.
- 4Bring to a boil.
- 5Lower heat, cover and simmer 25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 6Meanwhile, fry both sides of a slice of bread in oil and sprinkle with Italian Seasoning blend.
- 7Cool on rack.
- 8After 25 minutes, rice should be cooked and lentils should be cooked but still firm (not mushy) and there should still be some moisture in the mixture.
- 9Turn stove off and stir 1 cup of the cheese into the mixture until cheese is melted.
- 10Pour mixture into a 9 by 13 pan that has been sprayed with Pam and smooth the top with the back of your spoon.
- 11Sprinkle remaining 1/2 cup of shredded cheese over top.
- 12Crunch up the cooled fried bread with a knife and sprinkle over casserole.
- 13Sprinkle parmesan over casserole.
- 14Bake in preheated 350 oven for 15 minutes or so until cheese is melted.
- 15Let cool slightly before serving.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Easy Cheesy Lentil & Rice Casserole
Serving Size: 1 (210 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 650.4
- Calories from Fat 240
- Total Fat 26.7 g
- Saturated Fat 11.2 g
- Cholesterol 45.0 mg
- Sodium 686.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 74.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 15.8 g
- Sugars 2.8 g
- Protein 27.3 g