Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
After trying several complicated lentil recipes with dissatisfaction, I developed this delicious dish that is also so simple! Even my 3 year old loves it! Great side dish or a yummy vegetarian meal.
- Use a big pot and cook onion in margarine until soft.
- In a bowl, stir together bouillon and hot water.
- Add lentils, rice, bouillon-water mixture and cold water.
- Bring to a boil.
- Lower heat, cover and simmer 25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, fry both sides of a slice of bread in oil and sprinkle with Italian Seasoning blend.
- Cool on rack.
- After 25 minutes, rice should be cooked and lentils should be cooked but still firm (not mushy) and there should still be some moisture in the mixture.
- Turn stove off and stir 1 cup of the cheese into the mixture until cheese is melted.
- Pour mixture into a 9 by 13 pan that has been sprayed with Pam and smooth the top with the back of your spoon.
- Sprinkle remaining 1/2 cup of shredded cheese over top.
- Crunch up the cooled fried bread with a knife and sprinkle over casserole.
- Sprinkle parmesan over casserole.
- Bake in preheated 350 oven for 15 minutes or so until cheese is melted.
- Let cool slightly before serving.
This recipe is a keeper here. I made it and my kids all enjoyed it! My 3 yr old and I shared 3 helpings. The following morning my 3 yr old INSISTED on it for breakfast! Now that says something when a lil person will want this over other more "tradional" breakfast foods. Thankyou for posting Sarafish!
This was a huge hit, both with the adults and the kids, even my baby had some and liked it. It was easy to prepare and I served it with a simple lettuce vinagrette salad for a complete meal.
This is a womderful cheap and cheerful dish. Inexpensive but very filling. My husband and I eat this with a bit of hot sauce on top. It really gives it more flavor. Thanks!