1/10 Photos of Eggplant (Aubergine) and Cheese Casserole
When I first made this, my husband and kids ate it right up. They had no idea it was eggplant. It's a nice change-of-pace side dish.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 large eggplant, peeled and diced into 1 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/2 cup diced onion (optional)
- 1 teaspoon salt, dissolved in
- 4 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups italian seasoned croutons (small ones work best)
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1Preheat oven to 325°F
- 2Spray a 9-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- 3In a large saucepan over medium heat, boil the 4 cups salted water.
- 4Add eggplant (and onion, if using it) and continue to boil for 3 minutes; drain.
- 5In a mixing bowl, combine eggplant, croutons, and half of the cheese.
- 6Spoon into baking dish.
- 7In another mixing bowl, combine milk, flour, salt, pepper, and oregano; pour over eggplant mixture in baking dish.
- 8Top with remaining cheese and drizzle with melted butter.
- 9Cover and bake at 325F for 20 minutes.
- 10Uncover and bake for additional 5-7 minutes to melt and brown cheese.
Browse Our Top Cheese Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Cheese Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Eggplant (Aubergine) and Cheese Casserole
Serving Size: 1 (477 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 292.4
- Calories from Fat 159
- Total Fat 17.6 g
- Saturated Fat 10.0 g
- Cholesterol 47.4 mg
- Sodium 1279.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 22.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.6 g
- Sugars 4.0 g
- Protein 12.4 g