When I first made this, my husband and kids ate it right up. They had no idea it was eggplant. It's a nice change-of-pace side dish.
- 1 large eggplant, peeled and diced into 1 1/2-inch cubes
- 1⁄2 cup diced onion (optional)
- 1 teaspoon salt, dissolved in
- 4 cups water
- 1 1⁄2 cups italian seasoned croutons (small ones work best)
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1⁄2 cup evaporated milk
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 325°F
- Spray a 9-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, boil the 4 cups salted water.
- Add eggplant (and onion, if using it) and continue to boil for 3 minutes; drain.
- In a mixing bowl, combine eggplant, croutons, and half of the cheese.
- Spoon into baking dish.
- In another mixing bowl, combine milk, flour, salt, pepper, and oregano; pour over eggplant mixture in baking dish.
- Top with remaining cheese and drizzle with melted butter.
- Cover and bake at 325F for 20 minutes.
- Uncover and bake for additional 5-7 minutes to melt and brown cheese.