When I first made this, my husband and kids ate it right up. They had no idea it was eggplant. It's a nice change-of-pace side dish.
- 1 large eggplant, peeled and diced into 1 1/2-inch cubes
- 1⁄2 cup diced onion (optional)
- 1 teaspoon salt, dissolved in
- 4 cups water
- 1 1⁄2 cups italian seasoned croutons (small ones work best)
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1⁄2 cup evaporated milk
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 325°F
- Spray a 9-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, boil the 4 cups salted water.
- Add eggplant (and onion, if using it) and continue to boil for 3 minutes; drain.
- In a mixing bowl, combine eggplant, croutons, and half of the cheese.
- Spoon into baking dish.
- In another mixing bowl, combine milk, flour, salt, pepper, and oregano; pour over eggplant mixture in baking dish.
- Top with remaining cheese and drizzle with melted butter.
- Cover and bake at 325F for 20 minutes.
- Uncover and bake for additional 5-7 minutes to melt and brown cheese.
I love eggplant so i tried this recipe and all i can say is WOW!!! My family loved it so much that ask me to make these again ASAP! I use 1/2k of eggplant, 2 slices of bread. I think the mixture is too little for a 9x9 dish. The recipe needs to be doubled to have thickeness. I didn't cover mine,but they turned out great. Bake for only 20min. Thanks for sharing!! Ü UPDATE: used 1 1/4k of eggplant this time,doubled the rest of the ingredients and they fit perfectly well in 9x9 pan (enough thickness) baked 30min w/out covering w/ foil. This recipe is definitely to be baked again and again
I made this with 3 baby eggplants and it was very good. I'm not a huge fan of Eggplant, but it's so pretty in the store so I just had to buy some and try this out. I will definitely make it again! thanks!
Okay, mine doesn't look like the picture and it tastes gross. sorry, if not for the croutons, it would be inedable. I read that somebody doubled all the ingredients, maybe that would help. Will try to add more to it tomorrow to see if it improves. Sorry...