Prep 5 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is my favorite rice dish. We usually add a chopped hot pepper too for heat. Also, I like it best with Campbell's soup. We have tried to use cheddar cheese but it is not as good. Mom says you can make it with instant rice but I do not like it as well. If you used brown rice, increase the cooking time a bit.
- 1 cup uncooked converted long grain rice or 1 cup brown rice
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 6 slices American cheese, broken into large pieces
- 4 -5 fresh anaheim chilies, hatch chilies or 4 -5 sweet banana peppers, seeded and very roughly chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix everything in a 2 quart casserole using the milk to rinse out the soup can.
- Stir halfway through, be sure to stir all the way to the bottom.
- Add more liquid if it starts to dry out before rice is done.
- Cook for 30 to 40 minutes until rice is tender.
This is one of my favorite things that my Emaw makes!! Thanks mom for posting it :) It is sooooo flavorful and moist! I like it best with banana peppers because I do not like it too hot. I have also made it and added chopped onion and topped it with sliced cheese. You have to try it! Thanks mom!!
Riff thanks for hooking me up with this one. I was lucky enough to find a fresh crop of hatch chilies at the market. I used two hatch chilies, 2 banana peppers and 1/2 a hot red pepper for heat. The colors were beautiful. I did have to add a little chicken broth while it was baking but maybe only a few tablespoons. This is really delish! I served it along side grilled pork chops. Tell mama see is famous at my house! We love it!
DD and DH really like this. I used low fat cream of mushroom, 1% milk and brown rice. I had a large fresh banana pepper and also part of a red bell pepper and part of a green bell pepper. So I just diced them all and threw them in. The directions didn't saw if I should cover it or not when baking, so I put the cover on. It wasn't near finished after 40 minutes so I took the cover off and put it back in the oven until it was done. Not sure what the total cooking time was, but it worked out ok as my main dish finished about the same time. Next time I'll know not to cover it. Served with Broccoli and Meat Loaf.