This recipe is great! My husband can't get enough of it. There are so many ways to make it your own and add extra flavor to it. I've served it to family and friends, and I haven't met anyone that hasn't enjoyed it.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 lbs chicken breasts, precooked & shredded
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 cup nonfat milk
- 1/2 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 1 (8 ounce) can rotel, drained
- 1 (4 ounce) can green chilies
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 (16 ounce) package monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 12 corn tortillas, quartered
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 10 olives, sliced
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, fresh, chopped
- salt & pepper
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 2In medium frying pan, saute onion in one tablespoon of olive oil until tender. Set off to side.
- 3In large skillet, melt butter, add flour and combine. Add milk and chicken stock to skillet. Whisk steadily until all is combined and there are no lumps. Sauce will thick in 3-4 minutes. Add chicken, rotel, chilies, taco seasoning, onion, and salt & pepper to mix and stir until mix is completely coated with sauce. Set off to side.
- 4Get a casserole dish (9x9 or 9x12). Spoon 1/3 of chicken mix into bottom of pan, spread evenly. Layer 1/3 of cheese then a layer of quartered tortillas. Keep layering until you end with cheese. Place olives and cilantro on top of cheese.
- 5Bake in oven for 30-35 minutes, until cheese is golden brown. Serve with sour cream and hot sauce if desired. This dish goes great with guacamole and chips.
Browse Our Top Chicken Breast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Enchilada Casserole
Serving Size: 1 (300 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 549.4
- Calories from Fat 303
- Total Fat 33.6 g
- Saturated Fat 17.6 g
- Cholesterol 123.8 mg
- Sodium 616.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 25.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.9 g
- Sugars 3.5 g
- Protein 36.9 g