Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This recipe is great! My husband can't get enough of it. There are so many ways to make it your own and add extra flavor to it. I've served it to family and friends, and I haven't met anyone that hasn't enjoyed it.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs chicken breasts, precooked & shredded
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1 cup nonfat milk
- 1⁄2 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 1 (8 ounce) can rotel, drained
- 1 (4 ounce) can green chilies
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 (16 ounce) package monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 12 corn tortillas, quartered
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 10 olives, sliced
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, fresh, chopped
- salt & pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In medium frying pan, saute onion in one tablespoon of olive oil until tender. Set off to side.
- In large skillet, melt butter, add flour and combine. Add milk and chicken stock to skillet. Whisk steadily until all is combined and there are no lumps. Sauce will thick in 3-4 minutes. Add chicken, rotel, chilies, taco seasoning, onion, and salt & pepper to mix and stir until mix is completely coated with sauce. Set off to side.
- Get a casserole dish (9x9 or 9x12). Spoon 1/3 of chicken mix into bottom of pan, spread evenly. Layer 1/3 of cheese then a layer of quartered tortillas. Keep layering until you end with cheese. Place olives and cilantro on top of cheese.
- Bake in oven for 30-35 minutes, until cheese is golden brown. Serve with sour cream and hot sauce if desired. This dish goes great with guacamole and chips.
This is a great recipe it is very good and it makes a lot my wife and I can make several meals out of it.
Terrific! I left out the onions, otherwise made as specified. This casserole was easy to put together and also great as leftovers. Thanks for sharing the recipe! Made for Fall PAC 2009
This was delicious! I used all reduced fat products - Smart Balance Light for the butter, 1% milk and WW reduced fat cheese. I used a larger can of green chiles, just what I had on hand. I seasoned the chicken with salt, pepper, onion powder and chipotle powder, sauteed and then diced it for the casserole. Topped with salsa, low fat sour cream and green onion. Definite keeper, thanks for the recipe!