Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
I saw this while searching for blue cheese recipes and thought it sounded too good to ignore.
Make and share this Farfalle with Chicken, Asparagus and Blue Cheese recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄2 lb farfalle pasta (bow-tie)
- 6 ounces cooked chicken breasts, sliced 1/4 inch (may be grilled, poached or broiled)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄3 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1⁄2 lb fresh asparagus, trimmed,cut into 1-1/2 inch lengths
- 1⁄2 cup red bell pepper, diced
- 1⁄2 cup basil leaves, loosely packed,sliced thinly
- 4 ounces blue cheese, crumbled
- Cook pasta according to package directions, rinse, drain and set aside.
- In medium nonstick skillet, heat olive oil; add onion and sauté until translucent.
- Stir in garlic and cook 1 minute more; add asparagus, red bell pepper, and 1/2 cup water.
- Cook uncovered until water evaporates and asparagus is tender, about 4-5 minutes.
- Stir in basil, pasta, and sliced chicken; add salt and freshly ground pepper to taste.
- Gently blend in blue cheese and serve immediately.
We found this to be entirely too salty with nothing to cut the blue cheese. If I were to make this again, I would make a quick béchamel to temper the cheese and cut down on the salt level. We did not enjoy it.
I loved this. The blue cheese melts perfectly into a nice flavorful cream sauce without the unneeded calories or fat of an alfredo sauce or whatnot. I ended up using broccoli instead of asparagus, and used rotini pasta instead of farfalle because the store didn't have any whole wheat bowtie pasta. Thanks for sharing!
I increased the garlic as well, and had to go without the basil, but it really didn't suffer. I tossed in a little parsley for some freshness. It did take me a lot of stirring to get my blue cheese to melt because it was a harder variety. I should have paid more attention and chopped it up smaller. Really like the flavor of this, and very easy. Reheats well. Will make again.